1. Izuno, T., et. al. Alcohol-Related Problems Encountered by Japanese, Caucasians, and Japanese-Americans. International Journal of the Addictions 27:12 (Dec. 1992): 1389-400.
2. Kitano, H.L., Hatanaka, H., Sue, S., and Yeung, W.T., "Japanese-American Drinking Patterns." In The American Experience with Alcohol: Contrasting Cultural Perspectives. New York: Plenum Press, 1985.
3. Kitano, Harry H. L., James E. Lubben, and Iris Chi. "Predicting Japanese American Drinking Behavior." International Journal of the Addictions 23.4 (1988): 417-28.
4. Kitano, Harry H., Iris Chi, Siyon Rhee, et al. "Norms and Alcohol Consumption: Japanese in Japan, Hawaii and California." Journal of Studies on Alcohol 53.1 (Jan. 1992): 33-39.
5. Parrish, K.M., et. al. "The Association of Drinking Levels and Drinking Attitudes among Japanese in Japan and Japanese-Americans in Hawaii and California. Journal of Substance Abuse 4:2 (1992): 165-77.
6. Sue, Stanley and Charles Y. Nakamura. "An Integrative Model of Physiological and Social/Psychological Factors in Alcohol Consumption among Chinese and Japanese Americans." Journal of Drug Issues 14, no. 2 (Spring 1984): 349-364.
7. Towle, Leland H. "Japanese-American Drinking: Some Results from the Joint Japanese-U.S. Alcohol Epidemiology Project." Alcohol Health & Research World 12.3 (1988): 216-23.
8. Tsunoda, T., et. al. "The Effect of Acculturation on Drinking Attitudes Among Japanese in Japan and Japanese Americans in Hawaii and California." Journal of Studies on Alcohol 53:4 (Jul. 1992): 369-77.
1. Akutsu, Phillip D., Stanley Sue, Nolan W. Zane, et al. "Ethnic Differences in Alcohol Consumption among Asians and Caucasians in the United States: An Investigation of Cultural and Physiological Factors." Journal of Studies on Alcohol 50.3 (May 1989): 261-7.
2. Altman, D. G., C. Schooler, and M. D. Basil. "Alcohol and Cigarette Advertising on Billboards." Health Education Research 6.4 (Dec. 1991): 487-490. Includes assessment of assessment of billboard advertising on Asians.
3. Austin, Gregory A., et al. Prevention Research Update. Substance abuse among Asian American Youth. San Francisco, California: Far West Laboratory for Educational Research and Development, Dec. 1989.
4. Bachman, J. G., et al. Drug Use among Black, White, Hispanic, Native American, and Asian American High School Seniors (1976-1989): Prevalence, Trends, and Correlates. Monitoring the Future. Ann Arbor, Michigan: Institute for Social Research, 1990.
5. Biswas, Sheela. "Ethnic Differences in Self Poisoning: A Comparative Study Between an Asian and White Adolescent Group." Journal of Adolescence 13.2 (June 1990): 189-93.
6. Curb, J.D., et. al. "Smoking, Pulmonary Function, and Mortality." Amm Epidemiol 1:1 (Oct. 1990): 25-32.
7. Hawks, Betty Lee. "Smoking and Smoking-Related Cancers among Asian and Pacific Islander Americans." Minorities & Cancer. ed. Lovell A. Jones. : Springer & Verlog, 1989.
8. Ho, SB, et. al. "Opiate Antagonist Nalmefene Inhibits Ethanol-Induced Flushing in Asians: A Preliminary Study." Alchoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research. 12:5 (October 1988): 705-712.
9. Interim Hearings on Drug Availability and Abuse in the Asian/Pacific Islander Communities. Sacramento: California Legislature, Senate Select Committee on Border Issues, Drug Trafficking and Contraband, Nov. 1989.
10. "In Their Own Words: AADAP Residents Tell Their Stories." Rice Paper (Asian American Drug Abuse Program, Los Angeles) (June 1989): 3-7. Personal accounts of Asian American drug addicts.
11. Ja, D.Y., Aoki, B. Substance Abuse Treatment: Cultural Barriers in the Asian-American Community." Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 25:1 (Jan.-Mar. 1993): 61-71.
12. Johnson, R. C., et al. "Asians, Asian-Americans, and Alcohol." Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 22.1 (Jan. 1990): 45-52.
13. Karnow, Stanley, and Nancy Yoshiahra. Asian Americans in Transition. New York: Asia Society, 1992.
14. Kashiwagi, Soji. "The Graduates." Rice Paper, Asian American Drug Abuse Program, Los Angeles, California (Mar. 1992): 3-7. Profile of three AADAP graduates.
15. Kashiwagi, Soji. "Who Is the Asian American Male?" Rice Paper 1-2 (Dec. 1988): Newsletter of the Asian American Drug Abuse Program, Los Angeles.
16. Korzenny, Felipe, Joyce McClure, and Barbara Rzyttki. "Ethnicity, Communication, and Drugs." Journal of Drug Issues 20.1 (Dec. 1990): 87-98. Study of drug attitudes and behaviors in San Francisco, California; includes Asian Americans aged fifteen to twenty.
17. Leung, Paul, and Robert Sakata. "Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Counseling with Asian Americans." Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling 21.3 (Sept. 1990): 49-51.
18. McLaughlin, D.G., et. al. "Drug Use Among Asian Americans in Hawaii." Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 19:1 (Jan.-Mar. 1987): 85-94.
19. Marchand, Loic Le, Laurence N. Kolonel, and C. N. Yoshizawa. Alcohol Consumption Patterns among the Five Major Ethnic Groups in Hawaii: Correlations with Esophageal and Oropharyngeal Cancer Incidence Rates. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 1988.
In Epidemiology of Alcohol Use and Abuse among U.S. Ethnic Minority Groups.
20. Nagoshi, C. T. "Familial Transmission of Alcohol Consumption and the Flushing Response to Alcohol in Three Oriental Groups." Journal of Studies of Alcohol 49 (May 1988): 261-67.
21. Newlin, D. B. "The Skin-Flushing Response: Autonomic, Self-Report and Conditioned Responses to Repeated Administrations of Alcohol in Asian Men." Journal of Abnormal Psychology 98 (Nov. 1989): 421-25.
22. Reed, T. Edward. "Ethnic Differences in Alcohol Use, Abuse, and Sensitivity: A Review with Genetic Interpretation. Conference of Union College and the Society for the Study of Social Biology: Genetics and the Human Encounter with Alcohol, 1984." Social Biology 32.3-4 (Sept. 1985): 195-209. Includes study of Asian Americans.
23. Somlo, Patty. "The Hidden Asian Drug Problem." International Examiner 1 (5 Oct.1988)
24. Suddendorf, R. F. "Research on Alcohol Metabolism among Asians and Its Implications for Understanding Causes of Alcoholism." Public Health Reports 104 (Nov. 1989): 615-20.
25. Sue, David. "Use and Abuse of Alcohol By Asian Americans." Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 19:1 (January-March 1987): 57-66.
26. Sussman, S., et. al. "Psychosocial Predictors of Cigarette Smoking onset by White, Black, Hispanic and Asian Adolescents in Southern California." Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 36 Suppl. (1987 Sept. 4): 11s-16s.
[ Japanese American Network ]